Sonntag, 16. Dezember 2012

Moon over Soho

"Ms. Ghosh rang back just as I was reaching my car. She had the kind of precision-tooled middle-class  accent that only comes from being taught English as a Second Language in the cradle. She asked me what I wanted and I told her that I wanted to talk about unexpected deaths among her members.[...] I asked her where she was currently. 'At the Hub in Regent's Park', she said. It's the Jazz in the Open Air Festival.' [...]

The current band was playing something fusiony that even I wouldn't classify as jazz, so I wasn't surprised to find Tista Ghosh nursing a white wine [...] Ms.Ghosh was a slender light-skinned woman with a sharp nose who favored long dangly earrings and kept her long black hair tied back in a ponytail. [...] 'I know what you're thinking,' she said. 'What's a nice desi girl like me doing in the jazz scene? [...] My parents were deeply into jazz,' she said. 'They were from Calcutta and there was this famous club called Trinca's on Park Street. You know I visited there last September - there was a wedding. It's all changed now but there used to be this great jazz scene. That's where they met. My parents, not the relatives who were getting married."

Aaronovitch, Ben: "Moon over Soho", New York 2011, S.75ff.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Thanks for your opinion!